Dr. Ajay Kher is a Senior Consultant- Nephrology and Kidney Transplant Medicine with above 15 years Experience in this field and he is an alumni of AIIMS (MBBS), India’s premier medical institute. He then went to the US and pursued Internal Medicine at Indiana University, USA. He was awarded the Walter J Daly award for the outstanding Internal Medicine Resident. He went to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard University and completed his Nephrology and Kidney transplant fellowships. During this time he also taught Harvard Medical School students and Internal Medicine residents. He was Assistant professor in Medicine at University of Massachusetts before he returned to India and joined Nephrology and Kidney Transplant at Medanta. He then joined the Fortis Escorts Kidney and Urology Institute and helped set up Kidney transplant at Fortis Escorts.
He has given numerous lectures in India and abroad on Hypertension, Diabetes, Kidney disease, Dialysis, Kidney Transplant and complex electrolyte disorders. He also has published multiple peer reviewed articles in these areas.
- Kidney Transplants including ABO- Incompatible
- HLA incompatible transplants & swap transplants
- Chronic kidney disease
- Dialysis- Including Hemodiafiltration (HDF)
- July 2011-June 2012: Transplant Fellow, Nephrology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA.
- July 2008 – June 2011: Fellow, Nephrology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA. June 2005
- June 2005 – June 2008: Resident, Internal medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN.
- August 1998 - December 2003: M.B.B.S at All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, India.
- 2008: American Board of Internal Medicine in Internal Medicine
- 2010: American Board of Internal Medicine in Nephrology
Awards and Honours:
- Poyan mehr A, Tran MT, Ralto KM, Leaf DE, Washco V, Mesmer J, Lerner A, Kher A, Kim SH, Khoury CC, Herzig SJ, Trovato ME, Simon-Tillaux M, Lynch MR, Thadani RI, Clish CB, Khabbaz KR, Rhee EP, Waikar SS, Berg AH, Parikh SM. Denovo NAD+-biosynthetic impairment in acute kidney injury in humans. Nat Med 2018;24(9): 1351-9.
- Kher A, Agarwal A, Jha P, Bansal D, Madken M, Narula AS, Khurana R, Kher V. Anti A/B Antibody Titer Rebound: Are We Making It Worse? Be Aware Of Your Intravenous Immunoglobulin (IVIG). Indian J Nephrol 2018; 28(5):407-9.
- Kher A. Allocation based on virtual crossmatch alone: not yet ready for primetime. Am J Transplant. 2016:12:3577
- Kher A, Kher V. Optimizing twice weekly dialysis-converting two-star into five-star treatment? Indian J Nephrol 2015; 25(6):326-7
- Tolvaptan in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. N Engl J Med.2013; 368(13):1257- 8
- Kher A, Rodrigue JR, Ajaimy M, Wasilewski M, Ladin K, Mandelbrot DA. Reimbursement for living kidney donor follow-up care: how often does donor insurance pay? Transplantation. 2012; 94(10):1049- 51
- Kher A, Raven KE, Kushner YB, Mandelbrot DA. Fever, abdominal pain and renal failure in a kidney transplant recipient. Am J Transplant. 2013;13(2):518-20.
- Pavlakis M, Kher A. Pre-emptive kidney transplantation to improve survival in patients with Type 1 diabetes and imminent risk of ESRD. Semin Nephrol. 2012; 32(5):505-11.
- Kher A, Kher V. Immunotherapy in renal diseases. Med Clin N Am. 2012;96(3):545-64.
- Kher A, Mandelbrot DA. The living kidney donor evaluation: focus on renal issues. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012; 7(2): 366-71.
- Tran M, Tam D, Bardia A, Bhasin M, Rowe GC, Kher A, Zsengeller ZK, Akhavan-Sharif MR, Khankin EV,Saintgeniez M, David S, Burstein D, Karumanchi SA, Stillman IE, Arany Z, Parikh SM. PGC-1α promotes recovery after acute kidney injury during systemic inflammation in mice. J Clin Invest. 2011;121(10):4003-4014.
- Kher A, Wang M, Tsai BM, Pitcher JM, Greenbaum ES, Nagy RD, Patel KM, Wairiuko GM, Markel TA, Meldrum DR. Sex differences in the myocardial inflammatory response to acute injury. Shock. 2005;23(1):1-10.
- Kher A, Meldrum KK, Hile KL, Wang M, Tsai BM, Turrentine MW, Brown JW, Meldrum DR. Aprotinin improves kidney function and decreases tubular cell apoptosis and proapoptotic signaling after renal ischemia/reperfusion. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2005; 130 (3): 662-9.
- Kher A, Meldrum KK, Wang M, Tsai BM, Pitcher JM, Meldrum DR. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of sex differences in renal ischemia-reperfusion injury. Cardiovasc Res. 2005; 67(4):594- 603.
- Tsai BM, Wang M, Pitcher JM, Kher A, Meldrum DR. Disparate IL-1beta and iNOS gene expression in the aorta and pulmonary artery after endotoxemia. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2006;7(1):21-7.
- Wang M, Tsai BM, Kher A, Baker LB, Wairiuko GM, Meldrum DR. The role of endogenous testosterone in myocardial proinflammatory and proapoptotic signaling after acute ischemia-reperfusion. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2005;288(1):H221-6.
- Meldrum DR, Wang M, Tsai BM, Kher A, Pitcher JM, Brown JW, Meldrum KK. Intracellular signaling mechanisms of sex hormones in acute myocardial inflammation and injury. Front Biosci. 2005;10:1835- 67.
- Tsai BM, Wang M, Pitcher JM, Kher A, Meldrum DR. Endothelium-dependent pulmonary artery vasorelaxation is dysfunctional in males but not females following acute lung injury. Surgery. 2005; 138(1):78-84.
- Pitcher JM, Tsai BM, Wang M, Kher A, Brown JW, Meldrum DR. Sexual dimorphism in myocardial tumor necrosis factor alpha and cardiac function during endotoxin tolerance. Surgery. 2005,138(2):223- 8.
- Pitcher JM, Wang M, Tsai BM, Kher A, Turrentine MW, Brown JW, Meldrum DR. Preconditioning: gender effects. J Surg Res. 2005 Dec;129(2):202-20.
- Tsai BM, Wang M, Pitcher JM, Kher A, Crisostomo P, Meldrum DR. Zaprinast attenuates hypoxic pulmonary artery injury and causes less aorta relaxation than milrinone. Shock. 2005 Nov;24(5):417-420
- Pitcher JM, Wang M, Tsai BM, Kher A, Nelson NT, Meldrum DR. Endogenous estrogen mediates a higher threshold for endotoxin-induced myocardial protection in females.. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006 Jan;290(1):R27-33.
- Pitcher JM, Nagy RD, Tsai BM, Wang M, Kher A, Meldrum DR. Is the preconditioning threshold different in females? J Surg Res. 2005;125(2):168-72.
- 2007-2008- The Walter J Daly Award for the Outstanding Internal Medicine Resident, Indiana University School of Medicine.
- 2000-2001- Member, Executive Committee, Students Union, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India.
- 2000-2001- Class Representative, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India.
- 1997-1998- First prize in Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Computer Science, Frank Anthony Public School, New Delhi, India
- 1997-1998- Prefect, Frank Anthony Public School, New Delhi, India.